Behind the seal at Good Housekeeping with Olympic Paint!

#BehindTheSeal with Olympic Paint & Stain with Good Housekeeping #PPGsponsored*this is a sponsored post I may receive payment or other compensation, however all views are my own.

I was recently invited to participate in a project to test out Olympic Paint & Stain products for the Good Housekeeping Seal! There are thousands of products that carry this seal and I am excited to be part of the process for one of them.  My #Behindtheseal trip started off with a tour of the Good Housekeeping Research Institute at the Hearst Tower in NY.  You can’t be a home improvement blogger without appreciating the architecture of this building. I have such a love of old structures.  There is nothing like them! So, for me, it was truly beautiful to see how the integrity of this old icon was kept in place while adding a modern tower to the original shell.

The Hearst Tower is located in Midtown Manhattan.  It is owned by the Hearst Corporation, which has major interests in hundreds of publications; newspapers and magazines including Good Housekeeping and multiple television stations. If you are ever in Manhattan, I highly recommend a tour with Good Housekeeping! You can read more about the Hearst Tower here.

#behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

The stars must have been aligned for this trip & partnership from the get go.  One of my good friends was going to be in NY at the same time for a business trip, so I got to hang out with her for a night and have lunch the next day with another great friend before heading home. I’ve been to NY a few times but I can truly say this was my favorite time there. I’ve had a few projects on my mind that I’ve wanted to tackle for a while now, so when I was contacted to partake in this partnership, I was thrilled, since this would allow me to take on these projects and who wouldn’t love to visit Good Housekeeping Magazine and work with Olympic Paint & Stain?

So what is #BehindTheSeal? Myself and a couple of other bloggers are going to test Olympic Paint and Stain and give our review on the product for The Good Houekeeping Seal! Amazing right? A home improvement bloggers dream come true if you ask me, since we live, eat and sleep this stuff!

The day of the tour started with breakfast and a meet and greet, where I got to meet the other bloggers, Rose, Laura and Joey from Racepoint Global along with Doreen and Sakinah of Good Housekeeping.

Inside the Hearst Tower.

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

Here is the entrance to The Good Housekeeping Lab.

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint at Good Housekeeping

As soon as you enter, this wall features The Good Housekeeping Seal timeline and some products that were tested.

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

Our first stop was at the cosmetics lab. This is where they test hair and skin products. It is here where you can see your average person, who signed up to test products, coming in to the lab for testing and you will even see employees walking around with mannequin heads wearing real hair wigs, testing products on the hair and taking them to the climate control room to test humidity!#BehindTheSeal with Olympic Paint & Stain with Good Housekeeping #PPGsponsored

Here is the Test Kitchen where they test recipes.  A full kitchen!  How much fun it must be to cook there!

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

#BehindTheSeal with Olympic Paint & Stain with Good Housekeeping #PPGsponsored

Towels before washing and after washing with instruments to test the thread count!

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

The Lab for testing appliances!

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

Vacuums! Since I have terrible luck keeping a vacuum alive in my house for more then a year you bet I will be researching which vacuum Good Housekeeping gives their seal to!

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

The cleaning product lab!  They have a lab for virtually everything and anything!

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

The VIP Wall for those companies who receive Good Housekeepings Seal for innovative products.

#BehindTheSeal with Olympic Paint & Stain with Good Housekeeping #PPGsponsored

My favorite lab of all… The Home Improvement lab!  They were working on making things with a 3-D printer when we were there!

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

The Good Housekeeping Seal was first introduced in 1909 as one of the first consumer emblems.  I remember hearing my parents talk about it as I was growing up.  My father would often times check for the Good Housekeeping Seal before making purchases!  What’s great, is that the Seal is not only an endorsement, but it is also a two-year warranty to replace or refund defective products.

A product can only earn the Seal after evaluation and acceptance by the Good Housekeeping Research Institute.  The products are evaluated on safety, efficiency and performance by Scientists, Engineers, and Technicians before it appears in Good Housekeeping’s editorial and advertizing pages.  The standard evaluation period is 6-8 weeks from receipt of forms, samples and data.  Their rigorous clearance standards set the benchmark for product integrity. It is easy to understand why while 77% of all consumers feel more comfortable buying a product with some seal or endorsement, over 89% of those same consumers would make the purchase of a product with the Good Housekeeping Seal.  Furthermore, when choosing between two similar brands, 92% of consumers are more inclined to buy the product with this same seal.

Gorgeous view from the labs floor.

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

#Behindtheseal with Olympic Paint & Stain at Good Housekeeping

After taking this tour, I will be checking the Good Housekeeping website before I make any purchases.  That’s for sure.  They really do test these products in depth!   You can find more information on The Good Housekeeping Seal here.

I hope you will follow along with me as I test out Olympic One Paint & Olympic Maximum Exterior Stain, where I will be engaged in three projects using their products. One project per month for three consecutive months, starting in June! I can’t wait to show you my first project.  I’m so excited!  Then, I will be giving my review of the products in September.  You won’t want to miss these upcoming posts!

Don’t forget to follow along with my fellow bloggers to see their projects and reviews too!

The Ugly Duckling House
The DIY Villiage
Making a House a Home

40 comments for “Behind the seal at Good Housekeeping with Olympic Paint!

1. May 30, 2014 at 9:42 am

OH how completely exciting Dria!!!! Lucky girl!!! I would have loved to done that! :)

Nancy

2. The New Classy
    May 23, 2014 at 12:01 pm

What a great event to get to attend. I love painting so I know I would have enjoyed this!

3. May 23, 2014 at 10:43 am

This looks amazing! I would love to browse Good Housekeepings area!

4. May 23, 2014 at 9:47 am

What a fantastic trip. I would love to get a peek in there.

5. May 23, 2014 at 9:32 am

Oh, what I wouldn’t give to get a peek inside that place! And we love Olympic. I’m using it right now for 3 different projects!

6. May 23, 2014 at 9:23 am

Wow. I didn’t know how much work went into testing products for Good Housekeeping.It does make you feel good about following their recommendations.

7. May 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Dria, how lucky you are to have visited the Good Housekeeping Labs and test some products for them! I really had no idea they tested so many different types of products. I’m definitely going to be more observant when shopping to look for their seal of approval.

8. May 22, 2014 at 10:14 pm

This makes me appreciate the products that bear the seal even more. I’m really impressed by all the testing.

9. May 22, 2014 at 9:20 pm

LOVE their building, what an awesome experience that must have been!

10. May 22, 2014 at 9:06 pm

What a great opportunity and experience this was! It must’ve been really cool to be able to take a peek into the labs!

11. mommadjane
    May 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I love that appliance lab. The cleaning lab looks pretty cool too. Nice and brightly clean. I look forward to seeing what projects you complete using the paint.

12. May 22, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I would love to visit the Good Housekeeping site. What a lucky person you are to have been able to see this.

13. May 22, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I would love to spend some time in that test kitchen! I could be an official taste-tester, haha.

14. May 22, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Great trip!.. It’s my dream.. I miss NYC!

15. May 22, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Super awesome! I love how they test everything out!!!

16. May 22, 2014 at 1:55 pm

What a great experience!! And the Hearst Tower looks stunning. Would love to get a photo of that some day.

17. May 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

This is cool. How blessed you are to get a behind the scenes look and thanks for sharing it with us.

18. May 22, 2014 at 10:57 am

I am so jealous! Looks like you had a great trip!

19. May 22, 2014 at 9:46 am

Looks like a bloggers dream!! To get into that test kitchen would just about make my year!

20. May 22, 2014 at 9:35 am

What a fun trip and how exciting for you to be able to work with the best of the best! Can’t wait to see how you using the Olympic Paint & Stain. I used their Maximum Stain on our porch and absolutely loved it!

21. May 22, 2014 at 9:16 am

This is so amazing! I love Good Housekeeping!

22. May 22, 2014 at 9:03 am

Wow! Thank you for the inside peek! Sharing!

23. May 22, 2014 at 8:43 am

Oh! I love New York! This is so beautiful. I love the view you had. I can’t believe you got to go to the Home Improvement Research Institute! It’s amazing how much work and detail goes into every product!

24. May 22, 2014 at 8:08 am

What an amazing tour for you i love getting behind the scenes with companies I trust.

25. May 22, 2014 at 7:12 am

Wow! What an unbelievable experience! I will definitely be checking their website since I have a few purchases I need to make!

26. May 22, 2014 at 7:06 am

Wow! This is such an amazing trip! I would love to visit one day!! Glad the stars aligned so well for you! :)

27. dadriscoll
    May 22, 2014 at 6:33 am

Wow! So exciting! I loved seeing behind the scenes! x

28. May 22, 2014 at 6:15 am

Fantastic event for you. I think this is great.

29. Jessica @EatSleepBe
    May 22, 2014 at 5:11 am

I worked at Hearst many years ago, and had the opportunity to take the tour then. It always amazed me how much detail was paid to items that were tested for the seal of approval, and just how seriously they take that honor. I hope you got to enjoy a popover while you were there! They are yummy!

30. May 22, 2014 at 5:09 am

What an exciting trip for you. I can only imagine how interesting your tour was. I’d love to see this for myself. I look forward to your upcoming posts using Olympic paint.

31. May 22, 2014 at 4:37 am

Wow, how awesome that you got to see what’s behind the scenes like that.

32. May 22, 2014 at 12:33 am

What an exciting trip and opportunity. I had no idea what went into the Good Housekeeping Seal, so I am glad to learn that. I loved seeing the pictures of their lab room. I bet being there in person was incredible. And what stunning views!

Looking forward to your projects and final review!

33. May 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm

What a cool trip! I’ve always trusted that Good Housekeeping seal, and it must have been so interesting to go behind the scenes. Thanks for taking us with you!

34. May 21, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience Dria! What an opportunity of a lifetime! Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing more about Good Housekeeping and Olympic Paint!!
    Make it a great day!

35. May 21, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Very very cool! I’m in awe of the beautiful architecture first off and WOW they’re serious about the high standard of the Good Housekeeping Seal. Refreshing and reassuring all at the same time. Excited for your upcoming projects and will be looking forward to hearing all your thoughts on the Olympic products you use on them.
    Cheers to you Dria!

36. bnwobsession
    May 21, 2014 at 6:47 pm

The Hearst Tower is absolutely gorgeous from the outside in! I never knew that stamp had such quality control- it’s reassuring that they really put a lot of effort into the consumer experience. If I were a tester, I don’t think I’d ever get tired of trying to break products. Sounds like you had an amazing experience, cannot wait for the next projects/reviews!!

May 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I was amazed at how much effort goes into their research it truly does make you feel reassured when looking for their Seal on products that’s for sure! I can not wait to share my projects using Olympic Paint & Stain so excited!!

• bnwobsession
      May 21, 2014 at 6:50 pm

P.S. I’m totally curious to know if the Hearst Mansion in Cali (I visited when I was young) is in anyway connected to the Hearst tower…