Glitter Alphabet Ornaments – Rock Your Knockoff Holiday Edition

Glitter Letter Ornaments - Knockoff tour

Christmas is my favorite holiday to decorate for and I love doing these knockoff tours,  this project is the best of both worlds for me.  When I decided to make these glitter alphabet ornaments as my “knockoff”, my neighbor suggested I say Merry Christmas in another language with them.  I thought that was a cute idea but wanted it to be personal.

My ancestors are Irish, French, German and Polish.  French won because it had the least amount of letters and well I wouldn’t be able to pronounce, at will, Merry Christmas in Gaelic.  I had a hard time saying “my name is Dria” in Gaelic when I went to Ireland, even with the help of friends who spoke Gaelic who were with me.  So I stuck with a language I could actually pronounce! For those wondering “Dria is Aimn Dom” is how you say my name is Dria in Gaelic.  I admit it, I have been known to be gullible and I always wondered if my friends were pulling one over on me since the pronunciation for Dria is Aimn Dom sounds like Dria is um dumb.  Of course John (my friend James brother) kept telling James to stop calling me stupid when he was trying to teach me how to say Dria is Aimn Dom lol!

Supplies I used:
*Scrapbook cardboard paper (you could use poster board too but I want to keep my poster board for other projects).
*Glue
*Small artists paint brush
*Glitter
*Twine
*Container to put the letters in with the glitter

Glitter Letter Ornaments - Knockoff tour

Step One:  Make the letters in silhouette.  If you don’t have a silhouette you can make these letters in Word and just hand cut them out. The font that I used for these letters is Franklin Goth Medium. Make sure you don’t forget to draw in the small circle at the top of the letters for the twine to go through if you are using a silhouette.

Step Two: I ran a bead of glue down the front of each letter and then used a brush to spread the glue out.

Glitter Letter Ornaments - Knockoff tour

Step Three:  Using a container with glitter in it, I tossed the container back and forth to cover  the letter with glitter.  This method worked best, other methods I tried were sprinkling the glitter on top of the letters and putting the letters face down in the glitter.  Tossing the container back and forth with the letters facing up had the best coverage. Let the letters dry for an hour or so.

Step Four: Using twine string the letters together or keep them as individual ornaments and use the twine for the ornament “hooks”.

Glitter Letter Ornaments - Knockoff tour

Glitter Letter Ornaments - Knockoff tour

Glitter Letter Ornaments - Knockoff tour

Since I already had the supplies in my house to make these they didn’t coast me anything to make but I priced out the materials if I were going to have to buy the items to make these and the cost was about 30 cents each that was on the high end I’m sure they are even cheaper than that to make.

Follow along with my fellow bloggers to see what Christmas knockoff projects they did!

19 comments for “Glitter Alphabet Ornaments – Rock Your Knockoff Holiday Edition

1. November 14, 2014 at 3:40 am

This is beautiful! It’s really affordable and easy. Great work! Thanks for sharing.

2. November 12, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Wow!!! I just love these. So simple and affordable. Thanks for a great tutorial, Dria!

3. November 12, 2014 at 10:12 am

A bit more expensive but easier is to buy these letters at Walmart (98 cents) in the Christmas section. I glitter them with German glass glitter! They are heavy enough to make substantial banners with….

4. November 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Great knock off! Love seeing all these great, thrifty ideas! 🙂

5. November 11, 2014 at 9:01 am

Dria,
    I love the letters. It’s such a great way to add fullness to your tree.

6. November 11, 2014 at 7:50 am

Dria, These are adorable! I love the use of your words and now you’ve got me thinking how I can add them to my tree as well. Great job:)

7. Mary Beth @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
    November 10, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I love glitter and letters ~ perfect combination and such a wonderful knockoff, Dria!

8. November 10, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Love the letters Dria!! and those stars are still a huge favorite of mine! 🙂
    Nancy

9. November 10, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Love your glitter letters and they look awesome on your tree. I can think of so many ways to adapt this project!

10. November 10, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Dria,
    You have inspired me. I have been wanted to make glitter letters for a long time. Yours are gorgeous!
    Thanks for sharing. Happily pinning.

11. November 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hi Dria. If it’s any consolation, “Dria is Aimn Dom” does, indeed, mean “my name is Dria”! A little search came up with that comforting piece of info!
    And the glitter letters are nice! I think I’d do glitter spray paint, though, to avoid the “glitter until Valentine’s Day” scenario.

12. November 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm

These turned out so pretty Dria! I’ve got to talk my hubby into putting the tree up this weekend! I’m going to make some of your letter for my tree!

13. November 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Dria, I love your ornaments and super impressed you already have a tree up! My husband would have a hayday if I did this project, as he loathes glitter! Poor guy, with four girls in this house somehow there is glitter everywhere! Glitter even made it with us as we were camping this weekend and I don’t even recall the last time we used it! So excited for this tour and love seeing everyone’s knockoffs!
    ~ Tami

14. chris aka monkey
    November 10, 2014 at 10:03 am

hi dria nice to hear from you think of you every day when i look at my tail…. love these letters thanks for sharing xx

November 12, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Aww that’s so sweet Chris, I’m glad you still love your print!

15. November 10, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thanks for the tips and awesome idea. I want to make some and would have never thought about putting glitter in a container! I’d be sweeping up glitter till Valentines Day! Jeanette

16. November 10, 2014 at 9:09 am

These look great! I’ve always loved those glitter letters and need to make some for our home! Thanks for the tutorial! ~ Angie

17. christykjames
    November 10, 2014 at 7:42 am

Love it, Dria! I remember those white stars from last year too…they still look great too! Thanks for putting this fun tour together. XO