Painting An Appliance

Painting Appliances Tutorial

Have you all heard of Rustoleum’s appliance epoxy paint?  I was skeptical and didn’t really believe the finish would look like the original factory finish.  I kept imagining this would end up looking like I painted it and I wasn’t convinced the finish would feel right to the touch.  I couldn’t stand the yellowing appearance of a few of my appliances anymore so I decided it was time to either buy new ones or paint the refrigerator and the stove hood.

Rustoleum Appliance Paint - Dio Home Improvements

My refrigerator isn’t terribly old and the style doesn’t look out dated so you can imagine my annoyance when the refrigerator started looking yellow compared to the stove and dishwasher since the refrigerator is only one year older then the other appliances.  I wash all my appliance down weekly with different cleaning products, hot water and dish soap, mr clean sponge, clorox wipes etc.  Nothing I did would get the refrigerator to go back to being bright white.  Since I am not about to throw out a perfectly good appliance I decided to buy a quart of Rustolem’s Appliance Epoxy Paint and give it a try.

Supplies I used:
Rustoleum Appliance paint in white
1 – 6″ foam roller
1 – foam brush
Frog tape

I washed the fridge down with hot water and dish soap.  I used a copper scrub pad on the handles (don’t use this on metal surfaces it will scratch the finish of your appliance, trust me!  But it works really well on non metal surfaces like the handles).  After the fridge dried I taped off the handles (I removed the silver GE tag from the fridge, you can just pop those off).  You can take the handles off, on mine you just push the handle up and it comes right off, but I wasn’t sure if I would scratch the finish when putting them back on so I opted to tape the handles off instead.  I started out using the brush around the handles then I used the roller on the rest of the fridge.  The roller caused little air bubbles here and there on the finish I wasn’t sure if those would disappear so I used the brush to smooth those out.  This project took less then an hour including washing the fridge.

Rustoleum Appliance Paint

The instructions say to wait an hour between painting additional coats but it still felt tacky to me an hour later so I opted to let it dry over night then added the second coat the next morning.  My stove hood had also yellowed over the years.  I assume this hood is original to the house, it still works and I’d rather put money towards other things in my kitchen renovation instead of buying a new hood so I chose to paint the hood as well.  Same process as above.

One thing I loved about this project was the instant gratification of seeing a yellowing fridge turn bright white (that is the number one reason why I love painting walls too).  The end result does not look painted, it looks like the original factory finish, same glossy shine, same silky feeling.  I couldn’t be happier with the way this product worked.  I was so excited I felt like going around to all my neighbors offering to paint their appliances!  There is no excuse to have ugly appliances anymore people!  So if you’re fridge won’t get super white after washing it or you want to change the color, give this a shot I bet you will love the way your appliances turn out!  This Rustoleum epoxy paint comes in black and beige as well.  You can get it in a quart of paint or in spray paint.  I went with the quart of paint since I prefer to hand paint then spray paint. I’m off to see who I can convince to let me paint their appliances!  If you see my standing on a corner with a sign that says “Let me paint your appliances” honk your car horn!   Have you used appliance paint or are you planning on painting an appliance?  If so I’d love to see your projects!

How To Painting Appliances

You can see more of my kitchen renovation here

Linking up at:  City Farm House  DIY Showoff  Rain On A Tin Roof  I Should Be Mopping Floor  Attagirl Says  Not Just A Housewife   Debbie Debbiedoos

70 comments for “Painting An Appliance

1. August 23, 2015 at 2:09 pm

that looks amazing. we just finished doing a lot of work in my kitchen and ran out of $$ for all of the appliances so some are black and the old ones are white I want to do this to my white/rusty fridge but I want to change it to black. any suggestions for the handles, mine are white but have a rubbery coating on them that easily stain etc. do you think the paint would stick to it since they are not metal and will have to withstand a lot of hands on use?

• Dria S
      September 17, 2015 at 12:46 pm

I would ask at your local home depot or lowes what to use on the handles. I have not painted anything that is rubbery but have used rustoleum on plastic lawn chairs without a problem.

2. b2lawrence
    November 8, 2014 at 11:09 am

Hi, just saw your transformation on Pinterest. Looks amazing! One word of caution to those thinking of doing this (and it does come from my personal experience). Do not use spray epoxy in the house and make certain any where you do spray epoxy that EVERYTHING you don’t want paint on is strongly covered. I spray painted my vent hood (and it does look amazing after a year +) and covered everything in a normal manner – tarp/tape/newspapers/etc. Unfortunately epoxy SPRAY has a different texture ? than regular spray paint and will land in places you never expected. Fortunately, “DE-SOLV-IT” CONTRACTOR STRENGTH works well to remove the overspray even when dry. Hope this helps someone.

3. October 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Is this product suitable for a stove, the top is glass top so obviously wouldn’t paint that but just curious if it would hold up on a stove.

October 7, 2014 at 7:11 am

I am not sure, I believe you need to use a heat safe paint on a stove.

4. Jean Day
    September 7, 2014 at 11:44 am

How has the paint stood up to cleanings. I wash my original finish with window cleaner with ammonia on a fairly regular basis, so wondering if you are still happy with the finish after normal cleaning. Thanks…and good job. I’m hoping to get mine painted soon.

September 8, 2014 at 7:01 am

Hi Jean,

I wash my appliances down at least once a week with different products, some days with just clorox wipes, other days with a home made cleaner that has vinegar and essential oils in it. The finish is the same as the day I painted it, it still looks brand new!

5. Miranda
    July 23, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Wow! Nice job on this – it looks new! I am wondering just how glossy and smooth the finish is. Do you think it’ssmooth enough to use dry erase markers on it? My old fridge works for that (I write small notes and pictures) and I’m wondering if this Rustoleum paint will work for that as well. Thanks!

July 23, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I am not sure how a dry erase marker would work on it, I can say the finish is exactly like the original factory finish, glossy and silky but I don’t know if a dry erase marker would stain it :( sorry!

• Miranda
        July 23, 2014 at 10:34 pm

It’s all good! Thanks for responding so fast! :)

6. P Meyer
    July 8, 2014 at 11:10 am

Thanks for sharing the pleasant results of this project with us. I am considering painting some black appliances white (refrig, dishwasher, etc. ) in a house we’re looking to buy. I’m chemically – sensitive and am wondering this: how strong are the paint fumes from this Rustoleum Appliance epoxy paint? I’m wondering if I should just hire someone else to paint them while I stay away from the house for a few days. Moving the appliances outside would be too big of a hassle. Any suggestions on how to handle the fumes?

July 8, 2014 at 11:20 am

Hi, I typically only use no or low voc paints in my home (strong paints can give me a headache). When I painted the refrigerator and stove hood I used the paint not the spray paint and I applied it with all the windows open. I don’t recall it having a strong odor. If you are extremely sensitive you would probably be better off having someone else paint them for you instead of finding out if you will have a reaction to it.

7. Randy Rice
    January 5, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Does that paint come in other colors? And…can you paint the inside walls of the fridge? Thinking of painting the inside of my fridge bright orange!

January 5, 2014 at 4:36 pm

The paint comes in black, ivory and white. I am not sure if you can paint the inside of a refrigerator since that is plastic the exterior is usually metal, you should contact Rust-O-Leum to ask if you can paint the inside but as far as I know they don’t make the appliance paint in orange.

8. L Cooper
    January 1, 2014 at 7:48 pm

We just purchased a fixer upper and were blessed with only slightly used white kitchen appliances, for free! only problem is the fridge is offwhite just like your ‘before’ picture. I was at a loss of what to due with the mis-match appliances for our upcoming reno…your post has convinced me to give this stuff a try and make all of the appliances bright white. I had heard of appliance paint before, but was pretty skeptical, this stuff appears to do the trick! Thanks for sharing! One question though, our handles seem to be, I don’t know, a different texture…maybe almost rubbery or just a very textured type plastic?? Not sure how to describe it, wonder if they will have the same results as yours?

January 2, 2014 at 7:44 am

Hi L Cooper, the handles on my frig are plastic I didn’t paint mine I used a copper scrub pad on them they came out bright white after scrubbing them. I would try to clean the handle really well before considering painting them. If they come out white you won’t have to paint them if they don’t come out white then I personally wouldn’t hesitate to paint them, I’d love to see yours when they are done let me know so I can check it out!

• L Cooper
        January 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm

OK, I will def do it that way first. Might be a couple of weeks or maybe even longer (hope not!) before I get to it, but I will post a picture to show you how it turned out. :)

January 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

:) Can’t wait to see it!

• TINA SMITH
            June 11, 2014 at 2:18 pm

June 12, 2014 at 7:34 am

Hi Tina, I wouldn’t use appliance paint in a bath tub. I know Rustoleum makes a paint specifically for tubs and showers you might want to google that or ask at your local hardware store!

9. October 27, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I’ve always wondered what kind of paint to use on appliances :) Thank you for sharing and Happy SITS Day!

October 27, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Thank you so much Sarah! Def give Rustoleum a try it worked fantastic for me!

10. October 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Wow! It looks like you got brand new modern fridge. Very impressive!

October 25, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Anna! I’m so happy with how this project came out!

11. October 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm

We used this stuff for our bathroom tub! It is SOOO stinky, but it works! New follower on Bloglovin, btw!

October 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for stopping by and following Kelly! How is your tub holding up?

12. October 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

WOW! That fridge looks brand new AND makes an awesome difference in your kitcheN! I am now following – hopefully I will be able to use your tips around my new house:-) Happy SITS day!

October 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Thank you so much Tiffany! I am so happy I painted my refrigerator it really does look brand new!

13. Pam
    October 25, 2013 at 10:41 am

Wow, that is an amazing transformation. I have always wondered how a project like that would turn out. Glad to hear of your good results! We recently replaced our ancient refrigerator, but I wonder if I could use this paint on the top of my stove…?

October 25, 2013 at 11:15 am

Hi Pam, I am not sure you may have to use a heat resistant paint for the stove, thanks so much for stopping by!

14. October 25, 2013 at 9:38 am

Years ago I painted my fridge to brighten it up. I loved it. Thanks for the reminder that it is easy to do. Enjoy your SITS Day.

October 25, 2013 at 9:45 am

Thanks so much for stopping by! It’s awesome how a little paint can really change things up isn’t it?

15. October 25, 2013 at 8:31 am

Who knew you could pain appliances?? I love how it transformed your fridge!! SO cool. :)

Happy SITS DAY!!!

October 25, 2013 at 8:54 am

Thank you so much for stopping by Christine! The appliance paint is so easy to work with!

16. October 25, 2013 at 6:21 am

Wow, I love this blog. That is an amazing result. I have an old fridge in my garage that could use this!! I’m definitely gonna follow you on Bloglovin’ :) Happy SITS day!

October 25, 2013 at 7:30 am

Thank you so much!! The appliance paint was one of the easiest projects I have every done you will be amazed! Thanks for stopping by :)

17. October 25, 2013 at 5:50 am

Had no idea you could paint appliances! That might be something I have to look in to. Thank you for the information.

October 25, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thanks for stopping by Alecia, def give the paint a try it really does work fantastic!

18. Tiffany
    October 15, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hi, did you empty the contents of your fridge and freezer? I’m about to paint my fridge black and just wondering if it would be safe to paint without having to empty everything out. =)

October 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Hi Tiffany, I didn’t empty mine but I also didn’t open the doors when painting. If you have to open your doors to paint you might want to take the food out.

19. September 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Well doesn’t that look better. Did you paint those handles green in the first place?

September 6, 2013 at 3:51 pm

haha No! That’s frog tape!

20. August 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hahaha! I love the bit about standing on a corner with a sign! You’re the best :)

That looks amazing! I’d be hesitant too so it’s nice to hear it actually works as advertised. And it looks great!

21. Jan
    August 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Wow! What a transformation. The fridge looks great – like brand new. You were brave to hand-paint it! On the other hand, using spray paint would have meant taping up a plastic enclosure or moving the fridge to the garage so you could paint without having to worry about over-spray, and probably lots more coats! I have to tell you, though, I do not recall seeing a new fridge turn that color that your fridge did; or even an old fridge. The first house I bought in 1986 had one of those old 1950’s style fridges in the basement — still worked — and while it wasn’t pristine white, it looked a little aged (an ivory color, I guess you’d call it), it was nothing like the color in the before fridge photo you posted. So maybe there was something wrong with the finish the factory put on the appliance. It almost looks “rusty”. Did you have to prime? You didn’t mention it, so maybe not. I ditto the previous comment about the built-in look — love that! Wish I was handy, I’d do that in my kitchen in a snap!

August 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm

:) Thank you Jan! Ya I think there was something wrong with the fridge finish to begin with because the dishwasher and stove never changed colors. I didn’t prime I just did two coats of the rustoleum appliance paint. I prefer hand painting then spray painting I don’t like having to deal with drips or too much paint in one spot you can sometimes get with spray paint. The fridge surround was so easy to build seriously you could do it! I will have a tutorial on that in the future once the kitchen is done :) Thanks for stopping by!

22. Anne Sawyer
    August 8, 2013 at 8:18 am

wow! who knew? ….(well, I guess the Rustoleum people knew…lol)….You’ve given me the courage to try this myself!

August 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Anne!! Please let me know when you do yours I’d love to see it all done!!

23. August 8, 2013 at 7:15 am

Dria, it looks great and such a thrifty way of making older appliances look new! I am also loving the refrigerator surround you built.

August 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm

:) Thank you so much Melissa, it’s almost done, can’t wait!

24. August 8, 2013 at 1:30 am

This looks so fantastic and just… brand new! What a great project. It sure made a wonderful difference. Off to pin and share!

August 8, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thank you so much Shannon! I really wish I had done this sooner, so grateful I attempted this I was starting to consider replacing it just because it had yellowed so glad I tried this first!

25. August 7, 2013 at 9:42 am

It looks fabulous! I have always wondered about that paint! Now I know it works!! Excellent job!~~Angela

August 7, 2013 at 12:27 pm

:) Thanks so much Angie!!

26. August 7, 2013 at 12:32 am

It looks like a brand new refrigerator…impressive!!

August 7, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thanks so much Selene!!

27. August 6, 2013 at 11:06 am

That stuff is amazing….your fridge looks brand new!

August 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I’m still shocked by it too!!!

28. August 6, 2013 at 10:38 am

It looks fantastic! What a great, little transformation!

August 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Thanks so much Jeannine!! I love fast easy and inexpensive projects they are my favorite!

29. August 6, 2013 at 9:41 am

Fantastic! Your fridge looks brand new! Using the brush-on paint, did it leave brush marks? How long have you had it painted? I’m wondering about how durable it is. Thanks for sharing about this great product!

Love, Joy

August 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hi Joy, I just painted the fridge and hood this weekend, I used my fingernail on the side to see if it would scratch off and it didn’t I am thinking the finish will be pretty permanent! No brush marks at all, I used a sponge brush. Thanks so much for stopping by!

30. August 6, 2013 at 8:02 am

I can’t believe that’s the same fridge. So cost effective and makes total sense instead of shelling out the dough for new stuff!! Seems like such a quick and easy job!!

I’ll have to keep the product in mind, should we ever decide to go white!

Keep up the amazing work!!
    Trisha D.

August 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Thanks so much Trisha!! I am pretty amazed at how it looks like a brand new fridge kicking myself for not doing this sooner!!