12 Days of Christmas Tour

Bloggers Christmas Tour

I’m so excited to be a part of the 12 Days of Christmas tour, 30 bloggers in 12 days!

This is Day One!

Dio Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

Before I show my home tour I wanted to share how I came up with this years Christmas themes in my home.  Every year in August I start thinking of what direction I will go in for my Christmas decor for that year.  This year I decided I wanted to change my previous themes up.  For the last few years I had been using gold, bronze, ivory and white for my colors on one tree and red and white for the other tree.  After contemplating the direction I wanted to go in, I was inspired to change my themes up for two new directions….  This year I decided to dedicate a tree each to my parents.  My mom and dad both passed away and not a day goes by when I don’t think of them.  So let me introduce you to the living room tree which I refer to as “The Tree of Grace”.   My moms favorite color was white.  She had a great eye for home decor and fashion.  She was always a year or two ahead of the masses when it came to these two things!   I came up with a way to make all new decorations for this tree with hardly any money spent at all.   The ornaments I made were from paper, pipe cleaners and clear beads, I had everything on hand except the pipe cleaners which cost less then $5.00.

I change the stockings up with the different themes I use, since I was going mostly white in the living room this year I used these Pottery Barn stockings I bought about 9 years ago.

Dio Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

You can see the Polish Star Ornaments and Paper Star ornaments I made.
Stay tuned for tutorials on the Pipe-Cleaner Ornaments, Paper Sphere Ornaments and the Paper Molding Ornaments!

Dio Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

DIY Faux Fur Pillows made from a throw blanket.

2013 DIO Home Improvements Christmas Tour

Dio Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

I always use both white lights and color lights on my trees that way I can have whichever set on that I’m in the mood for.
The color lights at night feels like Christmas when I was a little kid!

2013 Dio Home Improvements Christmas Tour

DIO Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

DIO Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

Now for the tree I am dedicating to my dad, which I call “The Edward”.   My dad was a master carpenter who knew electrical and plumbing as well.  He is my inspiration for many of my DIY projects.  Because of him I know my way around a tool shop, I can do my own plumbing and electrical too.  For this tree I used some of my father, grandfather and great grandfathers hand tools and some plaid ribbon.   The tree topper is a upside down garden lantern!  For this tree the only cost was to purchase the ribbon which was only a few dollars.

Tool Christmas Tree

Garden Lantern for a tree topper!

garden lantern tree topper

Hand Tools for Ornaments!

Christmas Tree Tool Ornaments

Christmas Tree Hand Tools

DIY Wooden Sign and craft stick trees! Check back for the tutorials on the trees!  The sign was made from some scrap wood and vinyl decals/lettering using the silhouette!   The burlap stockings are ones I made a few years ago this year I just changed up the ribbon to match this years theme.

The white nativity was made by my father.  He made a set for each of my siblings and myself, I was 7 years old when he made these.  So happy to have this as it brings back great memories of my childhood.

White Nativity

White Nativity

DIY Deer Head stay tuned for a tutorial on this!

DIY Deer Head

The “tree skirt’ is one of my dads flannel shirts!

DIO Home Improvement 2013 Christmas Tour - Office Tool Tree

I still love green, red and white together for Christmas so I used those colors in my kitchen!

DIY Snowballs

DIY Snowballs!

DIY Snowballs

The Dining Room I kept the decorations to a minimum, just a wreath and a simple vase of sprays.

Dio Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

The bedroom I kept a little more modern or contemporary this year.  Usually I use red and white gingham check curtains with red and white toile bedding.  This year I wanted things a little more colder and cleaner looking.  This is also the first year in a long time that I didn’t use a third Christmas tree in the bedroom.  Using sticks from my yard with some extra silver ornaments and some glass chandelier pendants for a contemporary arrangement.  Two silver cone trees with two white deer.   Check back for the tutorial on how I made that artwork!

Dio Home Improvements 2013 Christmas Tour

Continue the 12 Days of Christmas Bloggers Tour below!

Monday DEC 2nd

DIY Snowballs

DIY Deer HeadDIY Pipe Cleaner Ornament

Linking up at DIY Showoff

The Nester   The Dedicated House

112 comments for “12 Days of Christmas Tour

1. December 26, 2013 at 10:57 am

Lovely! What a great idea using white and colored lights on your tree! The best of both worlds! Love all of the touches you’ve added to your home – thanks for sharing!

December 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you so much Jenny! I really do love using both lights on the tree! Happy New Year!

2. December 11, 2013 at 9:45 am

Lovely. I love the splash of red throughout the room. Very pretty.

December 11, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Thank you so much Sabrina!

3. December 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

Oh my goodness, Dria. You have just outdone yourself! I am in L-O-V-E with so many beautiful things. Your white tree and those amazing ornaments are to die for. How brilliant that you use both colored and white lights and you can switch it. Why did I never think of that?? Pinning now and thanks so much for including me in this amazing tour. xo

December 7, 2013 at 10:51 am

Aww thank you so much Claire! I have had so much fun with this tour and I am so happy you are a part of it!!

4. December 6, 2013 at 9:04 am

wow that was beautiful I like the handy tree

December 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thank you so much GossipMoms!

5. December 6, 2013 at 4:33 am

Amazing display. I particularly like the mother sheep and lamb. I am ashamed to say that I have not even began to put the decorations up so far.

December 6, 2013 at 6:33 am

Aww you still have time to decorate! Thank you so much for stopping by :)

6. December 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Dria…lovely. I particularly love the sign & little hardware tree! xx

December 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm

:) Thank you so much!!

7. December 4, 2013 at 11:43 am

What a sweet way to bring your parents into you house at Christmas.

I was just decorating our house yesterday and put up an old cross stitch of Father Christmas I made nearly 20 years ago. I am no longer into cross stitch or the look of it, but I was working on that cross stitch each day I spent in the hospital with my father just before he passed away. I always say I am hanging my father in our house for Christmas.

December 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Aww Carol that is so sweet that you hang that cross stitch in honor of your dad I love that! Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing that :)

8. December 4, 2013 at 10:30 am

Beautiful tree and decorations!

December 4, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thank you so much Katie!

9. December 4, 2013 at 5:31 am

I found your blog via Victoria Elizabeth Barnes and I have to say I’m loving this Home tour! Your trees are awesome. What a special way to remember your parents. I love the handy man tree also. Such a great idea!

December 4, 2013 at 7:15 am

Aww thank you so much Robin! I really enjoyed decorating the trees this year, so happy you stopped by!

10. December 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Love that handyman tree, Dria! It is so fun and creative! I love that you incorporated red in that room. I am leaving red out for the first time this year and I liked it at first, but now I’m missing it a little! Definitely have to use it again next year! :)

December 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm

😉 Thank you so much Allison! I hear you on the red, I tried it before and can’t do it, I have to incorporate it somewhere for Christmas!!!

11. December 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Wow!! I am so impressed! I love how you used both white and colored lights! That’s genius. It can sparkle according to your mood. I also love the Edward tree. Too cute – I mean too manly! :)

December 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm

😉 LOL “Too Manly” Thanks Megan I had a lot of fun decorating this year and for sure having both sets of lights on the tree is awesome I’ve been doing this for a few years now!

12. December 3, 2013 at 11:55 am

Very nice. I can definitely relate to your feelings about your parents. Both my parents passed away within 2 months of each other 10 years ago. Several years ago, I got a 2nd tree and decorated it with my mom in mind. It features lots of angels and hand crocheted snow flakes. Thank you for sharing your decorations.

December 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Aww I’m so sorry for your loss Sandy, your tree for your mom sounds so beautiful!

13. December 3, 2013 at 10:42 am

Dria, I’m in awe…in complete awe as you tugged at my heartstrings with those trees. What a beautiful tribute to your parents – I lost my Dad so I totally get it! You’ve encapsulated what really matters during the holidays – beautiful!

December 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thank you so much Marie! I’m so sorry for your loss :( Decorating the trees in honor of my parents this year has really made Christmas that much more special for me!

14. December 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Your home is beautiful Dria! I love the family memorabilia and the tools on the tree. You totally rocked this Christmas tour. Thanks for letting us all stop by to visit! :)

December 3, 2013 at 6:36 am

:) Thank you so much Melissa! So glad you stopped by!!

15. December 2, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Dria, I really enjoyed your thoughtful home tour. What a sweet way to honor your loved ones. I’m crazy about your idea of using the colored and white lights when you are in the mood. I cannot believe I have never thought to do that as I love white lights and my family loves the colors. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a great holiday season!
    ~Tami Michel

December 3, 2013 at 6:38 am

:) Thank you so much Tami! I’m surprised manufacturers aren’t selling mass trees with both sets of lights already on them!

16. December 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Dria, what a beautiful and creative way to honor your parents! Your trees are stunning, and I love how you thought about every detail. What an amazing way to kick of this tour! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful home with us!

~Abby =)

December 2, 2013 at 8:53 pm

😉 Thank you so much Abby! I’m so excited to see your tour and am so happy to be a part of it with you!

17. December 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Like everyone else, I absolutely LOVE that tribute to your dad. (I also love that nativity scene!)
    PS – your office area is so neat! I am sure you did not straighten up at all, and you are just very tidy!

December 2, 2013 at 7:36 pm

😉 LOL the office area you can see in the photos is usually neat it’s the area you can’t see that isn’t always neat lol! Thank you so much for stopping by and the compliments :)

18. December 2, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Dria I am almost speechless! I was so in awe as I rolled through each photo. I hated when I got to the end as I was so enjoying seeing all that you did and how you did it and the meanings behind your decorating. I know your parents are up in Heaven beaming down at their daughter and so filled with pride. You honored them with the most beautiful trees. I can see how much love went into decorating these trees. I absolutely love the two strings of lights. I never would have thought of that. :-)

19. December 2, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Love the themed decor! My mom did the same thing. She lived in a small apartment, so only had one tree, but every year there was a different color and theme. One year she asked me what I would like for a theme and I told her silver with crystal and glass. It was stunning! When she passed away, she left a box with my name on it, with all the decorations from that year’s tree. It’s a wonderful memory for me each year. I love how you did the tree to honor your dad. That is, by far, one of the most creative and meaningful trees I’ve ever seen! Such beauty :)
    Thank you for sharing your home and for sharing a bit about your family, too!
    Hugs & Blessings …

December 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Awww Lani I love that your mom left you that box and that tree sounds stunning!! I would LOVE to see that :)

20. December 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Dria, I love all the inspiration. I really like the tool Christmas tree and so did one of my blog readers. He left a comment on my post about he tree!

December 2, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Aww thank you so much Kathy that is so awesome :)

21. December 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Both of those trees look incredible Dria. I love the meaning behind both as well, your dads is super creative and your mums is super stylish!

December 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Aww thank you so much Sammi!

22. December 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I love how you made two trees to remember your parents — they’re not only beautiful but meaningful as well. Your home is warm and inviting – great job!

December 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm

😉 Thank you so much Julie!! I really enjoyed this years theme changes may have to keep this one for a few years!

23. December 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I absolutely love everything about your holiday home, Dria! I am * in love* with the tree dedicated to your dad. My heart jumped slightly when I saw the paintbrush (and all of the handy tools) used as decorations. That is such a good idea and looks so gorgeous!

December 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Aww thanks so much Jazmin! It is fun seeing tools that I use on the tree strange but fun!!

24. December 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Dria!!! Your home is GORGEOUS! I just love your trees! Both are spectacular in their own way!!! XOXO

December 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Aww thank you so much Christine! I can’t wait to see yours too!!! :)

25. December 2, 2013 at 11:53 am

OH everything is so beautiful Dria!!! Just gorgeous. And I love the handyman’s tree!! OHHH and the 2 different sets of lights on the tree….genius!!! I really want to do white lights (no I have not finished decorating, at all!) on the tree and asked my son last night and he said no, color Mom!! lol Hmmm, might have to steal your idea!! 😉

December 2, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Aww thank you Nancy! Yup I say go for it!! You won’t be disappointed you used both sets of lights!! It really does make a big difference having the choice depending on your daily mood for the lights and that way you will all be happy :)

26. December 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Dria, I love your trees and your home! That handyman tree is right up my alley! What a wonderful way to honor your parents. I’m getting ready to do the lights on our tree {thankful my posts is later on the tour} and will be doing our lights where I can have the white lights or colors or both. Great ideas. Now to go share! ~Jeanette

December 2, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Yay!! Another dual lights lover :) You will def love having the ability to pick which lights to turn at night it’s so much fun! Can’t wait to see your tour, so happy you are partaking!!

27. December 2, 2013 at 10:21 am

Oh my goodness! I am loving your trees! AND everything else included. I am truly inspired! So excited to be a part of the Holiday Home Tour with you.
    Can I say, I am in love with your Tool Tree. The sentimental reasons make it even that much more appealing. Pinned and tweeted.

December 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Aww thank you Meegan! I think my parents would be proud of these trees!! So happy you are partaking in the tour as well can’t wait to see yours!

28. December 2, 2013 at 10:16 am

You have a beautiful home and lovely decorations Dria! I love your trees and also the bucket of snowballs. 😉 The throw pillows look so cozy too! Pinned and sharing. :)

December 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Aww thank you so much Jen! The pillows were so easy to make they were the second set of covers I have made! I can’t wait to see your tour too :)

29. December 2, 2013 at 10:14 am

Oh Dria, your trees are amazing! I love the dedication. Such a great idea. And the dual lights? Genius! What a fantastic kick-off to the Tour! xoxo

December 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm

:) Thank you so much Colleen!! I can’t wait to see your tour too! Yup def start using both lights you will love it!

30. December 2, 2013 at 10:14 am

Absolutely gorgeous Dria! Your handyman tree is too cool! Happy Holidays and thanks so much for including me in this tour! See you Wednesday with mine!

December 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm

:) Thank you so much Leslie! One of the things I love about the tool tree is I use some of those tools a lot! However I will admit there is one I still have no idea what it is LOL! Some sort of a scribing tool! I can’t wait to see your tour and am so happy you are a part of it too :)

31. December 2, 2013 at 10:12 am

Dria, I am blown away by how awesome all your Christmas decorations are! I think the garden tool tree is my favorite, but it was a close call :) I’m also very impressed that you managed to decorate both trees without spending major money – they LOOK like a million bucks!

December 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Awww thank you Brynne! Hahaa yup that’s me super frugal still can’t believe the only things purchased were some pipe-cleaners and some ribbon! I had so much fun decorating this year!

32. December 2, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love it Dria! The trees that represent your parents are beautiful. That makes it all so special, I’m sure! I love your tour, thanks for sharing. ~Sonya

December 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Thank you so much Sonya!! I love having these trees for my parents and love that I didn’t spend much money at all coming up with new themes this year!!

33. December 2, 2013 at 9:49 am

Dria Dah-ling! You’re tour is FAB-ulous!

I love it and seriously just tweeted you’re a genius for using white & colored lights on your tree! Even told my husband our 16 years of choosing between my white and his colorful is solved! So much thought and detail went into all of it! And, the handyman tree ROCKS!
    Planning the 12 Days Tour together has been a blast, my friend. Thank you for everything!

December 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm

:) Thank you so much Therese! I loved planning this and being a part of it with you too!! Yup a few years ago I got tired of trying to pick between color or white lights so now the trees get both!!! I love the white lights on during the day and early evening and the color lights on at night really makes it feel like when I was a kid!

34. Leslie
    December 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

I LOVE the handyman tree…that’s it’s named for your father makes it that much more amazing and actually brought tears to my eyes!

December 2, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Awww thank you so much Leslie I will admit my eyes fill up every once in a while When I turn the trees on, love and miss my parents big time!

35. December 2, 2013 at 8:52 am

Dria you did an AMAZING job! I love how your trees were dedicated to your parents. So sweet and so creative! I can’t wait to see your tutorial for those DIY wooden sign and craft trees! Beautiful home! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

December 2, 2013 at 1:29 pm

:) Thanks so much Laura! The crafts this year were so easy I will have the tutorials up soon!! So happy to be in this tour with you :)

36. December 2, 2013 at 8:42 am

Wow your home looks so inviting and cozy for the holidays. Can’t believe you started scheming back in August!! Choosing to dedicate your trees to your parents is just the sweetest thing, I’m sure they’re somewhere beemingly proud!

That handiman’s tree is something my boyfriend would adore, I’m sure he’ll be begging for one next year. Oh and that garden light tree topper, beyond perfect.

I can’t help but continue scrolling through your generous decked out holiday home. Can’t wait for all your tutorial goodies!

Your hard work sure shows!

December 2, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Aww thanks so much Trisha! I have to give credit to my nephew for helping me get the trees up and decorated. He was the genius that came up with putting the lantern on top of the tree!

37. December 2, 2013 at 8:33 am

Wow Dria! All of your DIY projects are amazing! I can’t wait for the deer head tutorial!!! I just love how you decorated in honor of your parents. You have so many treasures from them. So happy to be touring with you. I just love your tour! ~Christy

December 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm

:) Thank you so much Christy! I think my parents would love these trees! And the deer head was sooo easy!!

38. December 2, 2013 at 8:29 am

That is simply beautiful Dria! Who wouldn’t be in a festive mood after spending time in your house? I especially love the flannel shirt under the tree. It’s such a small touch but it brings your parents even closer :)

Great job!

December 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm

😉 Thank you so much Becky! I love the Christmas season really enjoying it this year!

39. December 2, 2013 at 8:04 am

Beautiful! Your parents would be so thrilled with your tribute to them, both trees turned out gorgeous! I love the star ornaments…hmmm…might have to steal lol :)

December 2, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Aww thank you so much :) and steal away LOL!!

40. December 2, 2013 at 7:07 am

Dria, everything looks just beauitful! I love the white decorations and your handyman tree is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely holiday home with us and a perfect first stop on the tour! :) Pinning and sharing! Hope you have a happy Monday!

December 2, 2013 at 7:31 am

Thank you so much Cindy I really enjoyed decorating this year :) so happy to be on this tour with you all!